Thursday 10 October 2013

Exploration of the sea bed

As strange as it may sound, I've always been fascinated by the method of studying the earth’s crust through the process of core drilling!! In my exploration of this concept I have wanted to create a carving that captures this idea of searching, exploring and analysing something that relates to the past.
By using references and the samples drilled and extracted from the earth, I know I'm playing with a geological structure but want to use this visual form to suggest a more human and personal study of how we can go in search of hidden and personal histories.
This started out as one block but the more I remove, it is tending to lend itself to being removed completely from the attached cylinder bottom. This normally defeats the purpose of carving a large block of stone and I hope I don't regret what could have been achieved with two relatively smaller stones!
I'm confident though after doing a few rough sketches that it will all add to the evolution of the idea.
(Working title) Growing up Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment