Friday 6 June 2014

Twists and Turns!

The dust doesn't have time to settle at the moment as I'm trying to make up for days of rain and disruptions. Ive taken a little more time on finishing one profile of the sculpture and I am finally ready to start working across the top surface. I have made a small scale model to help me understand where the three folds will meet and loop with each other. Its a slow process but I'm carefully nibbling away at the stone. Even though its a massive slab I am conscious I want to retain as much of the high points until the stone is standing upright. The block is very top heavy at the moment, even after a day of grinding, pitching and punching, the first band of stone is starting to take shape. I am happy that it appears a lot wider now than first imagined. When I move around to the opposite side tomorrow I know I can really start to remove some of the bulk at the top. Already I'm starting to get a feel of the movement that needs to go into the stone as it needs to curve, dip and rise, interlocking what eventually will be three pierced stripes. It may sound strange, but I always get the same feeling when Im thinking about the process of a new carving and it normally happens just before I go to sleep. When I close my eyes I can follow the lines and mentally remove the stone in my mind, in a way this prepares me for how and what I need to be getting on with the following day. Roll on the sunshine!!


No comments:

Post a Comment