Monday 24 February 2014

From the Dealers Vault


Reclining Nude Figure 1928 - Frank Dobson


I finally made it to an exhibition that was showing at Mascall's Gallery, Paddock Wood - titled 'Dealers' Vaults'. The gallery is just up the road from my studio, but it is always the way when something is right on your door step, you just never seem to get around to it. The work brought together some big name artists such as Armitage, Chadwick, Caro and Dobson, all of whom had been working in a variety of materials from bronze to terracotta. I was also really pleased to discover another bronze from F.E. McWilliam who is from the same town in N.Ireland as myself. McWilliam was definitely a great inspiration for me as a student, studying art in N. Ireland and I was extremely lucky a few years ago to be selected to take part in several exhibitions at the new F.E. McWilliam Gallery, Banbridge.   
I came away from this show, not only having a desire to create some sculptures in bronze again but I also left with a strong desire to explore the human form in my work. There has always been a 'love - hate' relationship for me with the idea of working with the human form. However, the urge is starting to become so strong now and I don't know how long I can resist getting a block of stone and allowing this urge to take over! 


No comments:

Post a Comment